For some time now, we have heard about the Japanese method to live longer and not gain weight. It is no surprise that the country is one of the longest-lived in the world and this is thanks to its philosophy of life.
“Hara hachi bu” is a saying that comes from the teachings of the thinker Confucius and means “stomach up to 80%” or “eat until be 80% full.” According to this mantra, it is about not eating until you burst and it is one of the best alternatives to take care of your weight and extend your life expectancy. This simple and efficient philosophy allows them to keep your caloric economy always healthy.
“This lifestyle is still practiced today, especially in the Okinawa region, one of the oldest in Japan with the highest number of centenarians in the world and where the average BMI (body mass index) is around 18-22, compared to averages of 26-27 in Spain (BMI 18-22 is normal weight, bordering on thin). But the most interesting data is not only the number of centenarians in Japan, but the state of health in which this elderly population lives with fewer disabling and inflammatory diseases”he said once Maria Real Capell, pharmacist, nutritionist and psychoneuroimmunoendocrine, when referring to this curious method based on the aforementioned proverb. She also stated that, “being able to fill ourselves with 80% of food not only keeps us fit, but also improves our hormonal profile and also improves our response to stress”which allows to extend the life time.
HOW TO ACHIEVE IT?
- Eat dinner on dessert plateonly with this strategy you will already reduce calories.
- Try to spend at least 12 hours from dinner to breakfast.
- It takes only 8 minutes to finish a full plate of food but 20 minutes to activate satiety, eat slowly in order to activate the relevant satiety mechanisms.
- Another option instead of eating slowly throughout the meal is to eat at normal pace until half of the plate and when you get halfway down, slow down and eat more slowly.
- Adapt your diet to your physical activity. You don’t need the same amount of food if you spend the afternoon sitting or if you spend the afternoon standing, walking, and running errands.
- Expose yourself to natural light. That increases serotonin and reduces food cravings.
- Eat Hot dishes fill more.