Carbon monoxide is a highly toxic gashas no color or odor, but a sulfur compound is added to this natural gas, which is mercaptanwhich acts as a flavoring for the gas, and gives it a characteristic odor that tastes like rotten eggs.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is known as the “invisible killer”, “silent killer” or “great simulator”. It is produced by the incomplete combustion of the carbon that is in firewood, coal, gas, kerosene, alcohol and diesel, among others.

This can happen inside the house without anyone noticing, so it is important that they are installed devices that detect it and function as alarms since they announce with a sound the presence of carbon monoxide in the environment.

The devices are designed to detect, through a electrochemical sensor, and alert by means of an audible alert, the presence of low levels of carbon monoxide in the environments. It has three LEDS that indicate the operating status. It also has an LCD display, which shows the battery level, gas concentration, and ambient temperature.

The device works in a simple way: when there is a dangerous increase of carbon monoxide in the air, an alarm is triggered (similar to those of smoke detectors) with which it can detect if the air is contaminated and thus avoid the risk of poisoning

should always circulate air and must be proportional to the source of the volume of oxygen of each of the different environments.

It is important to control and maintain the different devices that are used to heat the rooms. And this control must be carried out once a year, by specialized personnel (with qualifying registration), who are in charge of checking the outlets of burned gases and ventilation to the outside.

It is an alarm sign when something is not right, the presence of a dark stain on the ceiling above the stove or on the path of the gas outlet tube.

1 – Stove-type devices that are not balanced draft should not be installed in bedrooms or bathrooms, balanced draft are the safest.

2 – Water heaters or hot water tanks should not be installed inside bathrooms or in closed or poorly ventilated spaces.

3 – Engines should not be started in closed garages.

4 – Appliances must not be used for a function other than the one designed, such as lighting ovens or burners to heat the environment.

5 – Always check that the flame of the appliances is blue: this indicates that the combustion is complete. Orange or red flame indicates the presence of carbon monoxide)

6 – In case of lighting embers, do not throw into the fire any element that gives off gases or steam that pollutes the air.

7 – You should never sleep with the coals lit.

The most dangerous artifacts are those of open camera, which take oxygen from the environment and throw the combustion gases into the interior of the environment. It is essential to keep in mind that all carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable.

These poisonings claim approximately 200 deaths per year. In environments where there is permanent combustion there must always be permanent ventilation, even if it is cold.

There is no single population at risk, all accidents of this type occur in homes of any social stratum.

The symptoms of poisoning vary according to age and whether the person has underlying diseases or not (heart diseases, lung diseases such as COPD and asthma, allergies, smoking, among others).

In some opportunities, the risk is high because people do not identify the poisoning picture (and it can happen in people who suffer from anosmia, which is the lack of smell) and it can quickly cause discomfort.

– Headache

– Dizziness

– Tiredness and fatigue

– Excessive sleep

– Visual disturbances

– Nausea and vomiting

– Convulsions and confusional state

In the presence of one or more of these symptoms, you should immediately open doors and windows, allow fresh air to enter, turn off appliances and go to the medical Center closest.