Undoubtedly one of the best things about Argentine national holidays is the love for recipes and local cuisine. Part of the traditional celebration of May 25 begins in the kitchen, when thousands of Argentine homes are filled with the aroma of dishes typical of this national day.
So that you can enjoy this holiday in the best way, we leave you with some of the most acclaimed recipes by Argentines on this day.
Ingredients: 250 g of white beans, 250 g of white corn, 1 kilo of brisket, 500 grams of chopped onion, 3 units of carrot, 500 grams of tripe, 3 units of pork leg/breast, 300 grams of pig tail/skin
1.Leave the legumes to soak the night before cooking.
2. In a saucepan, fry the chopped onion and carrot in cubes, and add the meat cut into medium pieces.
3. Add the white corn and the vegetable broth
4. cook 60 minutes over low heat
5. Add the beans and cook another 30 minutes (add water if it is missing)
6- Add the tripe, the legs, the pig’s tail and the carrot with 90 grams of coarse salt, cook for another 60 minutes.
The classic empanadas
Ingredients: 300 g of minced meat, 80 g of beef fat, 100 g of chopped red bell pepper, 100 g of chopped onion, a small cup of bone broth, 2 eggs, 6 tablespoons of chopped green onion (only the green part) , 4 tablespoons of chopped green olives, 2 tablespoons of raisins (optional), salt, cumin, ground chili and paprika, oil or fat for frying and 12 empanadas for frying.
1. Brown the onion and bell pepper in the fat, add the minced meat and cook until the meat changes color.
2. Add the seasonings, the raisins and the broth there.
3. Cook a few more minutes and remove.
4.Let cool and add the olives.
5.Let cool completely and, at the last minute, add the greens and mix.
6.Add the chopped egg but this time do not mix it. Give it a blow in the freezer so that the juice solidifies.
7. Assemble the empanadas in the usual way.
8. Fry them in hot oil or fat or send them to the oven on a previously oiled plate
Humita in a pot
Ingredients: 12 corn, 3 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons of oil, 3 tablespoons of finely chopped onions, 4 basil leaves, 2 chopped bell peppers, 400 g of mozzarella cheese, 800 g of pumpkin (optional), Salt, pepper, to taste.
1.Remove the beards and husks from the corn. Wash them well.
2. Grate 8 corn. Shell the remaining 4 corn with the help of a knife.
3.Peel the pumpkin and boil it. Strain and mash it to make a puree.
4.Heat a pot with the butter with the oil. Sauté the onion and bell pepper. Add the grated and shelled corn, with all its juice.
5. Season and Cook
6.Add the pumpkin, mozzarella and basil.
7.Remove from heat and let stand.
Some churros to lick your fingers
For a dozen you need: Water (125 ml.), flour (60 gr.), 1 pinch of salt, 10 gr. of butter, sunflower oil (for frying) and 100 gr. of sugar
1.To prepare the churro dough, heat the water in a saucepan over a high heat. Add the butter and a pinch of salt and wait for it to melt.
2.When it starts to boil, add the flour without stopping stirring with a wooden spoon until it absorbs all the water and the dough does not stick to the pan.
3.If you see that the dough is very hard, you can add a little more water.
4.Put the churro dough in a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Let it sit at room temperature until it hardens.
5. Put the dough in a pastry bag with a star tip and press it so that there are no air bubbles. The dough should be compact inside the sleeve.
6.Once the dough is ready, heat a frying pan with plenty of oil. When the oil is very hot, add the churros by pressing the sleeve and cutting the dough with scissors directly on the pan. Go turning them so that they are done equally on all sides and let them fry until golden brown.
7. Transfer the churros to a dish lined with absorbent paper to remove excess fat. And sprinkle them with a little sugar.
If you want them to have even more flavor, add dulce de leche and enjoy!
Ingredients: 500 grams of flour, 150 grams of butter for the base + 150 grams to spread the dough, 1 cup of water, a pinch of salt, 1/2 kilo of sweet potato or quince jelly, Oil, Syrup.
1.Place salt in the shape of a crown in a bowl and cut butter in the center.
2. Add water to form the dough, work it until smooth.
3. Let the dough rest for 20 minutes
4. Stretch the dough and spread 50 grams of melted butter, sprinkle it with flour and fold it in three. Repeat and let it rest for 30 minutes in the fridge.
5.stretch the dough until it is finite and cut into 12 cm squares.
6. Cut the sweet potato or quince and place it in the center of the dough, covering it with another superimposed dough. Pinch the ends of the dough and close them.
7. fry the cupcakes in oil.